It’s been a year since I decided to TRULY take care of my health. This past year has flown by, but at the same time it has been chock-full of adventure, knowledge, and life-changing transformation.
When I look back, I can’t believe how much has changed over the last year. It seems so incredible. But, this past year is a testament of how
Pruning allows for new growth!
That is the best way for me to describe what happened this past year. I ultimately cut things out of my life so that I could grow. We can’t expect different results if we’re not willing to make the necessary changes.
I was at the end of my rope last year. I truly felt so stuck in this rut of mine, almost too deep to find my way out. I felt like a hamster on a wheel, just going round and round and always ending up in the same place. Sick and Worn Out!
On June 27, 2016, I was finally done with feeling sick and tired. My only regret is that I didn’t make this change earlier, but I’m sure glad that I finally did.
Here are some things that I did:
- Simplified my life – I stopped over extending myself and made my health a priority. I had to stop saying yes to Good Things. This was the hardest, but my health had to be a priority because I was on the road to have having a stroke or heart attack. By “Good Things” I don’t just mean Birthday Cake and Ice Cream, but also volunteer opportunities and other commitments that were vying for my time. A few months into this journey, I decided to leave a job that required me to commute 3-4 hours a day. This was taking a toll on my health and I was able to cut that commute time in half.
- Kept a Food Journal – This kept me accountable. I logged EVERYTHING. It stopped the mindless eating and made me aware of what I was putting in my mouth. It also helped me with eating a balanced diet. (Protein/Carb/Fats)
- Set Weekly Goals – I would set weekly goals like committing to 10K steps a day, taking a walk on my lunch break 3 days a week, getting 7 hours of sleep each day, drinking 8 glasses of water each day, etc.
- Eliminated Processed Foods & Sugar – This was the life changer! Cutting out processed food and sugar completely eliminated my aches and pains, my daily heartburn, and has given me energy I haven’t felt in years.
- Listened to a Health & Wellness Podcast every day – This helped motivate me every day to stay on track. I have learned so much about health and wellness that I’ve decided to change my major to become a dietician.
It’s hard making changes, but it’s how we grow! I feel like I’m learning new things about myself constantly and it’s exciting to feel like I’m truly living. Remember Change = Growth! This is not a bad thing.
We’re all on our own timeline and it may have taken me longer to get here than some, but I’m glad that I’m finally on this path. If you’re sick and tired of being sick and tired – I encourage you to make some changes and do some pruning.
As I continue on this journey, I’m continually changing and tweaking my routine. I regularly challenge myself to learn new things and to simplify my life.
I may not have all the answers, because I’m learning and growing myself. But, I’m happy to answer any questions or provide support in your journey. Please feel free to reach out for support @firstname.lastname@example.org.
Peace & Love,
Here’s to another year of healthy living and thriving – Let’s do this!